Download Adult Renewal Form
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, Passport Canada allows people to renew their passport if it has been expired for more than 1 year.
Passport Canada indicates that they aren’t liable for any monetary losses if they can’t deliver the passport in time to you or your child.
Passport Canada allows passport holders to renew their adult passport within 1 year after the expiry. However, due to delays caused by COVID-19 restrictions, you are now able to renew your adult passport after 1 year expiry if:
- You were 16 years of age or older when you applied for your last Canadian passport.
- You last passport was valid for either 5 or 10 years.
- You passport expired on or after February 1, 2019.
- You are not changing your name, date of birth, place of birth or gender on the new passport.
- Your current expired passport is not damaged or declared lost or stolen to Passport Canada.
(You may renew your passport 1 year before expiry)
For any other circumstances, please visit Passport Canada’s website to find out your eligibility for renewal. Click here.
To renew your passport, you’ll need to
- fill out an application form
- get your supporting documents and passport photos
- you will also need 2 references to include on your application. Your references must have known you for at least two years.
- find out how to submit your application and fees
- send your old passport with your application (if apply by mail) / if in person, the old passport will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel anymore
Gather all necessary documents and get your passport photo
Include the following documents with your application form. You must submit all documents in either English or French. If a document is in another language, you must provide an official translation.
- the following 3 pieces of information:
- the date your passport was issued
- the date it expired
- its passport number
- your most recent passport
- This is so Passport Canada can cancel it.
- You can’t travel with a cancelled passport or travel document.
- 2 identical passport photos
- On the back of one of the photos, the photographer must write
- their name
- their complete address and
- the date the photos were taken
- Read the full photo requirements for more information.
- On the back of one of the photos, the photographer must write
In most cases, it takes 20 business days to process a passport application.
If you need a passport urgently or in exceptional circumstances (illness or death in the family), contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.
Passport photo requirements from other countries are different than in Canada
Your photos must follow Canadian photo requirements. We’ll reject and return your application to you if you submit an unacceptable photo.
To avoid any problems, print a copy of the passport photo specifications (PDF, 652.38 KB) to bring with you to the photographer.
How to renew your adult Canadian passport in United States
Since you’re applying from within the U.S., you must send your application to us by mail. Government of Canada consular offices in the U.S. do not provide regular passport services.
General tips and instructions
Passport Canada recommends that you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport.
- The passport renewal form is in PDF fillable format. Please try to complete electronically.
- The instructions are at the end of the PDF file.
- Ensure to sign each page of the passport renewal application form.
- If the term “mother’s surname” doesn’t apply to you
- cross it out on the form and write “parent’s surname at birth”
- fill in the field with the surname (last name) at birth of 1 parent
- write your initials in the margin
- If your passport has a valid visa in it, please notify on your form if you need the visa and want your original passport back. If you don’t, the visa could be damaged when the previous passport is cancelled.
You need to include 2 references to include on your application. Your references must have known you for at least 2 years and they cannot be a family member.
If your passport has a valid visa in it
Tell us on your form if you need the visa and want your original passport back. If you don’t, the visa could be damaged when the previous passport is cancelled.
Submit your application
After you pay the fees, submit your application and payment receipt to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.
Paying your renewal application fees
The following fees below are for Canadians who submit their passport applications outside Canada and in United States.
- 5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) – $190
- 10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) – $260
- Child passport (0 to 15 years of age) – $100
*there is no tax for passport application
There is no refund for the service fee if you:
- cancel your application
- are refused a travel document
- are issued a passport for a shorter validity period than requested (for example, if you’ve lost your passport multiple times)
Only the consular fee, which applies to all adult applications, is refundable if a passport is not issued.
For more information about Passport Canada service fees (e.g. urgent expedited services fees, replacement, etc,) click here.
Receiving your passport
The office you applied at will let you know when your passport is ready. They will also tell you when and how you can pick it up. If applied by mail, Passport Canada will return your passport and any original documentation to you. It may arrive in 2 separate packages.
If you’re moving but haven’t received your passport yet
Contact Passport Canada to update your mailing address if you:
- haven’t received your passport and
- are moving within 30 days of submitting your application
If you have a community mailbox, make sure you check it before you contact Passport Canada about your application.
When you get your new passport, make sure your personal information is up to date in the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System.
Sign up for a Rakuten account and start earning cash back! Special 10% cash back from major brands!Detail Steps:
- Sign Up with our special referral link.
- Make sure to access the merchant’s website using the website link from Rakuten.ca. If you access the mercant’s website directly, you will not receive your cash back.
- Make a $30 purchase before tax and you will receive your $30 cash back.
- Receive your $30 cash back in your Rakuten.ca account!