Who would you vote as Canada’s next Prime Minister?

Please be advised that this site is not affiliated with the Service Canada office.
It was created to provide general passport information only.

Download:  Child passport application outside Canada or United States – Other countries


Instructions and tips

  • Read the instructions at the end of the form to make sure you complete it properly.
  • If you can’t open the form, follow these instructions.
  • To get a Braille instruction booklet or large-print forms sent to you, contact us.
  • The term “mother’s surname” may not apply to you. If it doesn’t
    • cross it out on the form and write “parent’s surname at birth”
    • fill in the field with the surname (last name) at birth of 1 parent
    • write your initials in the margin


If the child’s passport has a valid visa in it

Tell us on your form if you need the visa and want the original passport back. If you don’t, the visa could be damaged when the previous passport is cancelled.

Gather all necessary documents and get your child’s passport photo

Include the following documents with your child’s application form:

You may need to provide extra documents if you’re updating their gender identifier.

All documents must be submitted in either English or French. If a document is in another language, an official translation must be provided.

Find a guarantor

For new passport application you will need to find a guarantor to sign your child’s application and one of the passport photos.

The guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two (2) years and must have knowledge of the child.

Pay the fees before you submit the application

The following fees below are for Canadians who submit their passport applications outside Canada and in United States.

  • 5-year adult passport (age 16 or over) – $190
  • 10-year adult passport (age 16 or over) – $260
  • Child passport (0 to 15 years of age) – $100

*there is no tax for passport application

There is no refund for the service fee if you:

  • cancel your application
  • are refused a travel document
  • are issued a passport for a shorter validity period than requested (for example, if you’ve lost your passport multiple times)

Only the consular fee, which applies to all adult applications, is refundable if a passport is not issued.

For more information about Passport Canada service fees (e.g. urgent expedited services fees, replacement, etc,) click here.


Submit your child’s passport application

After you pay, include your receipt with your application and submit it to the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate.


Receiving your child’s passport

The office you applied at will let you know when your passport is ready. They will also tell you when and how you can pick it up. If applied by mail, Passport Canada will return your passport and any original documentation to you. It may arrive in 2 separate packages.

If you’re moving but haven’t received your passport yet

Contact Passport Canada to update your mailing address if you:

  • haven’t received your passport and
  • are moving within 30 days of submitting your application

If you have a community mailbox, make sure you check it before you contact Passport Canada about your application.

Important: Never sign your child’s passport or other travel document. A parent’s or legal guardian’s signature makes the document invalid. Print the Signature policy (PDF, 600.51 KB) and bring it with you when you travel in case you are asked to sign it.

A child’s passport or other travel document does not need a signature. A child may sign the passport or travel document and children over the age of 11 are encouraged to sign. If a child does not sign, the signature block on page 3 must be left blank.